1971 Dodge Demon H Code Race Car
400ci Low Deck Mopar
BEING SOLD WITH TITLE
The story: Bill Creech grew up in Southern California and was privileged enough to have a hot rod / drag racing dad, be in the absolute pinnacle of nitro funny cars (the early 1970s), and live close enough to OCIR (Orange County International Raceway) at the time the super track of its day and host of the most badass funny car events you ever dreamed of the Manufacturers Meet being the main one. 200 nitro funny cars on the property with 64 qualifying to represent their respective factory teams. This was the time of: Mongoose vs Snake, Jungle Jim vs The Snowman, the Lil Demon vs the Blue Max, The Revellution Demon vs The Chitown Hustler it was a spectacle, it was an event, it sounded like you were going to a monster movie. And when you arrived and walked in the pits you were not disappointed insane paint jobs, wild characters, and loud cars. Add in the brand wars: Dodge vs Chevy, Ford vs Plymouth it became even more crazy and filled with excitement. Everyone was in and everyone went. To Bill these are the critical missing components in drag racing today. Nobody cares about the Matco Tools funny car vs the Peak Antifreeze funny car, one bubble car vs another bubble car boring and fan attendance reflects it. None of those exist in drag racing anymore it has gone corporate and therefore bland and uninteresting. Racers have lost the plot as they are purely focused on winning rather than understanding that without fans, there is no racing at all. With that in mind,Bill set out to create a car that would time warp people straight back to 1972. A loud car that shakes like a Southern California Earthquake, a name and character that make you want to see what it is, a paint-scheme that will keep your eyes glued to it, and burnouts that will make you think he is violating at least a dozen EPA regulations. Bill always loved the lines of the Dodge Demon. Add in that most people collect Dodges not race them, and add in that Demons were only produced for two years combining that with one of my favorite cars Pete Everetts Lil Demon and that became my target. Bill purchased the Demon in Ohio and brought it to California. he began getting it to be more of my style and once he was satisfied with how she ran, he contacted Bill Everett (Petes son) who enthusiastically gave Bill permission to use the Lil Demon namesake. Then he took her to Riverside California to Richard McPeak one of the most well-known hot rod and race car graphics painters of the 70s who just so happened to have painted his dads hot rod / race car (1970 Dodge Charger R/T Magnum Force). Taking his input of all of my favorite funny cars, Bill gave Richard a sketch of what he thought it should look like. He gave him a look, and told him to throw that away and just let him do his thing he kept Bills pics of the original funny cars. A week later Lil Demon rolled out of his paint booth in November 2007. Three days later she was drawing massive amounts of attention at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma CA and the attention never left her. The only change I would make to the car would be to remove the modern contingency decals and replace them with 1971 decals (whether the parts are actually on the car or not).
- Vehicle: 1971 Dodge Demon H Code car. Originally 340 4-Speed Plum Crazy Purple. This is an H code car the rarest of the Dodge Demons. Ive owned the car for 16 years
- Namesake: Pete Everetts Lil Demon early 1970s Dodge Demon nitro funny car (AA/FC) competing in Division 7 NHRA AHRA, and Match Racing predominantly in the western US. The Lil Demon name is used with the late Pete Everetts son (Bill Everetts) blessing.
- Racing Heritage: NHRA Division 7 Summit Series (Bracket), Heritage Series (C/Gas), West Coast Pro Gas (C/Gas), and special events
- Special Events: Funny Car Fever, Fox Hunt, Pinks All Out (television show)(picked a different class for airing so car did not appear on show), Team Sacramento Raceway
- Always a fan and announce favorite
- Won Best of Show in 2011 at a car show
- Special Events: Funny Car Fever, Fox Hunt, Pinks All Out (television show)(picked a different class for airing so car did not appear on show), Team Sacramento Raceway
- Performance: The car runs very consistent low 9.4X ETs in the ¼ mile. It has run a best of 9.31 @149MPH. It is capable of running in the low 9.20s or high 9.10s with additional tuning (combo only has 10 or so passes on it still sorting out shock and 4-Link settings when parked). With the bigger cam and some weight loss (factory glass, door panels, etc) it should be an 8.80 car
- Media: The Lil Demon is ALWAYS a fan, announcer, and media favorite. The paint scheme and loud snapping-popping engine with big smokey burnouts drag fans instantly back to the early 1970s era of drag racing when cars were named after characters and the drivers took on that persona the event wasnt just about the competition it was also about the thrill for the fans and Lil Demon always delivered
- The car has appeared in National Dragster and many online hot rod and racing oriented publications
- It repeatedly shows up in current posts and blogs about the best looking Demon ever and the like
- Paint Scheme:
- Unique to this car, the paint scheme is a combination of most of my favorite funny cars from the early 1970s at the fabled OCIR (Orange County International Raceway)
- Conceived and painted by Richard McPeak in Riverside CA. McPeak is one of the foremost hot rod and race car painters in Southern California in the heyday of drag racing. He painted my dads race car (1970 R/T Charger locally known as Magnum Force) in the early 70s. In 2007 I had him paint my Demon in the same paint booth that he painted my dads car in
- The scheme uses nearly every 70s painting technique: Flames, pinstripes, lettering, feathering, pearl, stripes, panels.
- Breakdown: As mentioned the paint scheme is unique to me, but is a culmination of my favorite cars from my childhood at the drag strip.
- The flames over the top (not down the sides) are from the Mongoose II and Snake II funny cars driven by Tom McEwen and Don Prudhomme respectively.
- The yellow and horizontal stripes are from the Stardust funny car driven by Don Schumacher
- The Lil Demon name is from the Lil Demon funny car owned by Pete Everett. NOTE: Pete passed away before I could locate him, but his son Bill Everett gave me permission to use the name on the side of the car and was thrilled that someone so vividly remembered his dads car and that the name would once again be terrorizing opponents and thrilling fans
- The unique spelling of Lil rather than the more proper Lil or Lil is unique to the Lil Demon funny car and this car
- The blue color in the flames and panel outline are from multiple funny cars: The Jungle Jim Vega driven by the late Jim Lieberman, The Blue Max driven by Raymond Beadle, the Mongoose II driven by Tom McEwen, Don Cooks Damn Yankee and The Snowman driven by Gene Snow
- The lettering style and coloring is from the Dunn & Reath funny car driven by Jim Dunn
- The gold leaf with outline on the window lettering and numbering is from The Blue Max, the Damn Yankee, and Jungle Jim Vega funny cars
- 400 ci Low Deck Mopar (stronger block than a 440) filled and hardened
- 511 cubic inches professionally built by Muscle Motors
- Indy Cylinder Head 440-1 heads CNC ported and polished
- Indy Tunnel Ram
- Twin Holley 1050 Dominator carburetors tuned and flowed by Jessie Biggs
- Competition Cams .727 lift cam (baby cam for the combo)
- Competition Cams triple spring valve springs
- TD 1.5 rocker arms
- Overhead oiling
- TTi ceramic coated headers
- Moroso electric water pump and vacuum pump
- MSD Pro Billet digital distributor
- MSD Digital 6 ignition with two step and rev limiter
- Eagle crank
- Ross Pistons
- RNR Aluminum rods
- Charlies 10qt dragster pan
- Specs: HP: 860+/-, Compression 15.8:1
- Chrysler 727 Torqueflight 3 speed
- Pro Trans internals
- Steve Griner Valve body and trans brake
- Low band apply
- ATi torque converter w/ 5600 stall
- Rear Differential:
- Dana 60 shortened
- Moser axles
- Richmond gears 4.56:1 and spool
- 1350 U-joints
- Drive shaft shortened
- 4 wheel disc
- Front: Aerospace engineering
- Rear: Wilwood
- 4 wheel disc
- Front: Weld Magnum Frontrunner (Sfi)
- Rear: Weld Magnum Pro (SFi)
- Goodyear Racing Eagle
- NHRA certified to 8.50 (currently out of date should recertify no problem)
- ¾ car (firewall rearward) square tube race frame mild steel
- Alston Chassis works Four Link
- 16 pt cage mild steel attached to chassis under the body
- Front stiffeners chromoly
- Chassis built by Winning Way Chassis
- Kirkey seat
- RJS 5 point belt
- RJS Safety net
- Safecraft Halon system (dual nozzle)
- Grant GT steering wheel with Moroso quick release collar
- Precision Performance Products (PPP) shifter with line lock and transbraks
- Set at angle on pedestal for optimum shifting
- Autometer Pro Comp and Sport Comp gauges: Fuel Pressure, RPM with Shift light and recall, Trans Temp, Oil Pressure, Water Temp
- Painless Wiring Switch panel (wiring is Painless Wiring harness)
- Lights and blinkers work
- Helmet and steering wheel hooks
- Parachute lever
- Original door panels windows work
- 1971 Dodge Demon
- All factory steel except for fiberglass: front bumper, hood, rear deck lid, rear bumper
- Master cutoff switch located on PASSENGER REAR bumper (Pull On/ Push Off per NHRA spec)
- All windows are factory original glass and work
- All factory original chrome trim in place
- Factory side mirror and door handles all present and functional
- Factory lights all present and functional (including blinkers)
- Ed Quay custom full width adjustable rear aluminum wing (the first Demon with a full width wing others were 10 narrower as the wing was actually for a Dart)
- Weight 2960# without driver
- Radiator: Water
- Fuel: VP C16 or 115-117 octane equivalent
- Oil: Racing oil weight based on conditions typically a 5/30, 10/30, 20/50 Brad Penn was preferred
- Differential: 75/90 Brad Penn hypoid was preferred
BUYER'S TERMS, PROVISIONS & CONDITIONS OF SALE
Bidding. No bid may be retracted by Bidder/Buyer during the sale for any reason, regardless of whether bid is made in person, by telephone, or as an absentee bidder. All sales are final upon the Auctioneer's declaration of sale.
Payment. Payment of the purchase price is due immediately upon the Auctioneer's declaration of sale. Payment accepted by wire transfer only, we do not accept credit cards by phone or web except for the memorabilia. All cash payments will be reported according to U.S. Federal government requirements. Checks are not acceptable. Applicable sales tax will be charged, based on the item's location, unless buyer provides proper tax exemption form. Successful bidder must contact us within 24 hours of auction close to finalize invoicing and payment details. Payment must be received within 3 business days of auction ending. We will notify buyer when full payment has been received and item(s) may be picked up. Titles for titled vehicles will be mailed by certified mail no sooner than 10 days after payment clears our bank.
BUYER'S PREMIUM / FEES:
Memorabilia - 15% of winning bid
Vehicles, Motorcycles, Trucks, Boats, etc - 10% of winning bid
Additional fees: One-time Wire Transfer Fee – Domestic $35.00 / International $50.00
$125.00 Title / Document Fee per Vehicle
Final bid price for On-Site, Telephone or Absentee Bidders does not include 10% Buyer's Premium on automobiles, 15% Buyer's Premium on non-automotive lots, or applicable taxes or fees. Buyer is responsible for all federal, city, state, or other taxes due for which the Buyer does not qualify as exempt. Proof of exemption is Buyer's responsibility. Payment for vehicle is to be immediate and made directly by the Buyer to Sonicbidder.com LLC with Buyer agreeing to pay Sonicbidder.com LLC sales commission as per sale agreement.
Non-Compliance of Buyer, Default and Remedies. If the Bidder/Buyer fails to comply with any of the Conditions of Sale, including, without limitation, a Bidder/Buyer fails to timely pay the full purchase price and/or remove a vehicle when required, the Bidder/Buyer shall be in breach and default of this agreement and shall be liable to Sonicbidder.com LLC, and Bidder/Buyer agrees that Sonicbidder.com LLC shall be entitled to recover from such Bidder/Buyer, any and all damages, costs, expenses, fees (including attorneys' fees) and other amounts suffered and/or incurred. Sonicbidder.com LLC may initiate legal action against the Bidder/Buyer including, without limitation, an action for specific performance, cancel or rescind the sale, resell the vehicle(s) with or without reserve privately or at public auction and the Bidder/Buyer shall be liable for any deficiency between the purchase price (plus all damages, costs, expenses and fees, including attorney's fees incurred by Sonicbidder.com LLC) and the resale price.
Conditions of Sale. ALL SALES ARE "AS IS, WHERE IS." BIDDER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR INSPECTIONS AND VERIFICATION OF CONDITION, AUTHENTICITY, AND COMPLETENESS OF ANY VEHICLE PURCHASED. BIDDER/BUYER EXPRESSLY AGREES NOT TO RELY ON THE CATALOGUE DESCRIPTION BUT THEIR OWN RESEARCH AND INSPECTION. NO WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATION, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, OF ANY TYPE WHATSOEVER ARE MADE BY THE AUCTION COMPANY OR ANY OF THEIR REPRESENTATIVES. FURTHER, NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED OF MERCHANTIBILITY OR FOR FITNESS ARE MADE. INFORMATION PRINTED IN BROCHURES, CATALOGUES, SIGNS, WINDOW CARDS, AND VERBAL STATEMENTS MADE BY AUCTIONEERS OR AUCTION STAFF ARE REPRESENTATIONS MADE BY THE SELLER, AND SONICBIDDER.COM LLC OR ANY ENTITY THERE OF HAVE ANY OBLIGATION TO VERIFY OR AUTHENTICATE ANY SUCH CLAIMS OR REPRESENTATIONS. NOTWITHSTANDING ANY ANNOUNCEMENT, ADVERTISEMENT, STATEMENT, ASSURANCE OR PROMISE BY, OR ON BEHALF OF SONICBIDDER.COM LLC, OR ANY OF ITS EMPLOYEES, AGENTS OR REPRESENTATIVES, AND NOTWITHSTANDING ANY VERBAL OR WRITTEN CONDITION REPORT PROVIDED BY SONICBIDDER.COM LLC HAS NO OBLIGATION OR RESPONSIBILITY, AND DOES NOT ASSUME ANY OBLIGATION OR RESPONSIBILITY, TO UNDERTAKE AN INSPECTION OF ANY VEHICLE PRIOR TO THE AUCTION. BIDDERS HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY AND THE RESPONSIBILITY AND ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO RESEARCH THE VEHICLES PRIOR TO THE AUCTION AND CONDUCT THEIR OWN INDEPENDENT INSPECTION AND EXAMINATION OF ANY VEHICLE, ACCOMPANYING SPARE PARTS, DOCUMENTATION, RESTORATION RECEIPTS, AND OWNERSHIP DOCUMENTS RELATING TO A VEHICLE PROVIDED BY THE SELLER TO SONICBIDDER. BIDDERS ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE TO SATISFY THEMSELVES, PRIOR TO BIDDING, AS TO THE CONDITION OF ANY VEHICLE AND ALL MATTERS RELATING TO THE VEHICLE, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY DESIRED OR NECESSARY REPAIRS, RESTORATION OR MISSING PART, YEAR OR AGE, SIZE, SERIAL NUMBER, MAKE, MODEL, OPTIONS, TOOLS, PREVIOUS USE OR OWNERSHIP, PROVENANCE, DOCUMENTS, MANUFACTURING OR RESTORATION PROCESS, DAMAGE, GENUINENESS, ATTRIBUTION, RARITY, OR HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE. SONICBIDDER.COM LLC, NOR THE SELLER, SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY REPAIRS, RESTORATION, REPLACEMENT OF ANY PARTS, OR ANY OTHER MATTER. BY PARTICIPATING IN THE AUCTION, EACH BIDDER/BUYER EXPRESSLY WAIVES, AND AGREES THAT IT WILL NOT SEEK ANY RECOVERY FROM, OR PURSUE ANY CLAIM AGAINST, SONICBIDDER.COM LLC RELATING TO ANY OF THE FOREGOING, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, FOR REPAIRS, RESTORATION OR REPLACEMENT OF PARTS. ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS MADE AT TIME OF SALE SUPERSEDE ANY PREVIOUSLY PRINTED INFORMATION. BUYERS SHOULD NOTE THAT MOTOR VEHICLES SOLD AT THIS AUCTION ARE INTENDED AS COLLECTOR'S ITEMS AND MAY NOT BE SUITABLE TO PROVIDE DAILY TRANSPORTATION AND SONICBIDDER.COM LLC SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE AGE, NATURE, AND CONDITION OF THESE VEHICLES MAKES IT LIKELY THAT MAJOR COMPONENTS MAY HAVE BEEN MODIFIED, REPLACED, RESTORED OR REPAIRED IN SUCH A MANNER THAT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR THE AUCTION COMPANY OR ITS REPRESENTATIVES TO INSPECT AND/OR VERIFY THE CONDITION OF ANY LOT TO PROVIDE ANY AUTHENTICITY OF ANY LOT FOR ANY PURPOSE.
Other Terms. Vehicles not marked as "Offered Without Reserve" are subject to a minimum bid set by the Seller. When a vehicle is sold subject to such a minimum bid, the auctioneer may bid on the Seller's behalf in an amount not to exceed the Seller's minimum bid. All terms of sale posted on the auction premises, printed in sale brochures or forms, publicly announced, or otherwise published are incorporated herein by reference. Sonicbidder.com LLC and sellers assume no liability for errors in this listing. Items are sold as is, where is, without any warranties whatsoever, whether express, implied or statutory. Expressly excluded are warranties of merchantability, fitness for use, and purpose and description. Hour meter readings or mileages are unverified information and accuracy is not guaranteed in any way. Any information is gathered from sources believed to be reliable but is not guaranteed to be accurate. Items are available for inspection, and any bidder is solely responsible for personally inspecting the item and verifying any information presented here or elsewhere. Item descriptions and listings are subject to change, correction, updates or cancellation at any time, without notice. Complete terms / payment options may be obtained by calling 877-824-3337 or emailing shana@Sonicbidder.com LLC.
Storage, insurance, tear-down, loading and removal of item is at the sole risk, expense and liability of the buyer. Any items not removed within 30 days after the auction will be charged a daily storage fee at a rate of $25.00 per day by auctioneer.
This instrument, together with the Bidder's Registration Form, Clerk Ticket, Purchase Invoice and Bill of Sale, comprise the entire agreement of the parties and shall be binding on them and their respective heirs, personal representatives and assigns. This instrument shall not be modified except in writing, signed by an officer of Sonicbidder.com LLC in the auction office or at the auction block. The above instruments constitute a contract between Bidder/Buyer, Seller and Sonicbidder.com LLC. ALL PARTIES AGREE THAT THE EXCLUSIVE AND SOLE JURISDICTION AND VENUE FOR ALL CLAIMS, COURT ACTIONS, AND LAWSUITS ARISING UNDER THESE CONTRACTS BE THE COURTS OF THE COUNTY OF LACLEDE IN THE STATE OF MISSOURI AND SHALL BE INTERPRETED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI. THE PARTIES AGREE THAT THEY SPECIFICALLY WAIVE ANY RIGHT THEY MAY HAVE TO HAVE ANY CLAIMS OR ISSUES HEARD IN FEDERAL COURT.
Sonicbidder.com LLC has a copyright on all images and likenesses taken or captured at their events and, by registering as a Bidder, you expressly agree that any and all images or likeness taken or captured by Sonicbidder.com LLC belong to Sonicbidder.com LLC and they have full rights to use in any manner they so choose.
Bidder is responsible for their bidder number and action taken on behalf of your bidder number. Please notify the auction office immediately if you have lost your number.
Should you have any questions regarding the Buyer's Terms and Conditions of Sale, please contact us at 877-824-3337.
You will receive confirmation of registration within 48 hrs. If you do not receive confirmation within this time, please call us at 877-824-3337.
MAIN WAREHOUSE LOCATION 679 W Elm St Suite 8 Lebanon, MO 65536 Inspection and checkout, call for appointments at 877-824-3337.
Sonicbidder.com LLC reserves the right to remove any items advertised or not advertised for any reason including an individual paying the buy it now price. Any car advertised for the sale that is not in the catalog will be updated within 24 hours before the sale goes live.
Autos, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycles
It is the purchaser's responsibility to arrange the shipping. Removal must be completed on or before the 30th calendar day (for domestic property/merchandise) or the 60th calendar day (for export only property/merchandise) after the sale date or the buyer will default the terms of sale and property/merchandise will be resold by the Auction Company. Said property/merchandise shall revert possession back to Seller without further notice to the buyer and will result in any monies paid being forfeited and the transaction shall be null and void as to buyer.
Property/merchandise must be paid in full before removal. No partial release of any lots. Removal is by appointment only and should be made by the buyer with Sonicbidder.com LLC storage vendor only after buyer has received the necessary property release document. It is the sole responsibility of the buyer to remove the property purchased by the removal date. All property/merchandise in a Lot must be released to original buyer at one time. Removal is at the expense, liability, and risk of the buyer. Please do not make flight arrangements or schedule pickups in advance, until you receive authorization via email with a copy of the paid invoice. Memorabilia Auction company will not be responsible for shipping. All shipping will be responsibility of customer and their preferred carrier, if customer has one.
AUCTION END AND BID APPROVAL At the close of the sale, all bidders will be emailed their bid results (online auctions only) and the totals will be forwarded to the respective authorities for final approval. Once we receive approval, you will receive an email notification that your bid has been approved or denied. Payment instructions will be given at that time. Each vehicle is considered a separate purchase. Sonicbidder.com LLC or any other entities involved, in their sole discretion, reserves the right to declare an item sold or postponed, cancel the auction, extend the bidding time for the auction (which may re-open bidding on closed items, if any) and/or re-list the property for auction at another date and time. The decision of Sonicbidder.com LLC or any other entities on this matter shall be final. Bidder acknowledges that, by registering in any auction held by Sonicbidder.com LLC or any other entities, bidder accepts the terms and conditions of this disclaimer.